Monday, July 17, 2006

A Taste of Charleston, SC - More Cupcakes!

The battle of the best cupcakes in the US of A continues. First on the scene was the now-famous Magnolia's in New York. More recently, Cosmic Cupcakes in Watertown opened and is wowing Boston-area residents with their funky sea urchin cupcakes . Now, sweet little Charleston, South Carolina has pulled ahead of the pack with a cupcake establishment of its own, aptly named cupcake.

Cupcake Owner Kristin Kulke, a former marketing and sales executive, was inspired by Magnolia Bakery in New York and thought she'd bring the cupcake craze to Charleston. Unlike her competitors who feature cupcakes as well as other confections, her adorable shop sells cupcakes exclusively which makes you feel like they are getting the time and attention they deserve. And it shows. The cupcakes are the best I've had to date based on my sampling (who am I kidding. I ate every bite.) of two keepers - Red Velvet Chocolate w/ Cream Cheese Frosting and Coconut with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. One of my pet peeves about cupcakes is that too much attention is paid to the frosting and very little to the actual cake. Kristin has hit the jackpot in both areas. The cakes are moist and the frosting is creamy but not too sweet or grainy. My personal favorite was the Coconut because I am a coconut nut. The Lemon Cream frosting which had coconut flakes in it was an ideal pairing. Kristin has a gift for pairing the right frosting with the right cake.

Cupcake is a real find. A little off the beaten path from the busy shopping area but a great reward once you get there. My only regret is that I don't live closer and can't try the other flavors. I'll have to ask my friend, Jen, to go once in awhile so I can live vicariously through her.

Cupcake offers 9 flavors each day out of her repertoire of about 20 different flavors. Just $2.75 each and $30.00 for a dozen wonders. A must stop if you visit Charleston.

Cupcake
433 King Street
Charleston, South Carolina
843.853.8181

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cupcakes sound scrumptous! We'll have to work on a Cambridge variety.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne,
I just wanted to give you the website for Cupcake in Charleston. It is www.freshcupcakes.com. And by the way, the name is just Cupcake (without the s on the end.)
Blessings!

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I Live in Charleston, SC and i love cupcake cupcakes (as we all call them here). My personal favorite it the chocolate cupcake with vannilla icing. The shop smells so good it is ridiculous. Cupcake is amazing!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just heard about Cupcake from a co-worker - having recently moved to Charleston from Waltham, MA it's on my list of places to try. Used to work on Galen St. in Watertown...

Anyway, I googled "Cupcake and Charleston" and found your site - which was VERY exciting for me since you're in Cambridge!

Great site!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home