Monday, May 01, 2006

From Shubael's Pond to My Dinner Table - Fresh Trout

click image to get a closer look


As I've mentioned before, my brother Dick is an avid fisherman and I am very fortunate to reap the benefits of his hard labor. Last night, two trout (along with some freshly dug clams and asparagus from my Mom's garden) made it to my apartment via my sister Donna, the seafood Sherpa. My brother had just caught the fish earlier in the day at Shubael's Pond on Cape Cod. Doesn't get any fresher than that. I was planning on getting some steaks for dinner but when I got the call about the fresh fish, I put the steak idea on the back burner so to speak.

Fresh fish, as you may well know, doesn't need a lot of fuss. Just a couple ingredients to bring out its flavors. I decided to go with the simple, classic pairing of trout with green beans and almonds, otherwise known as Trout and Green Bean Almondine. If you're not lucky enough to have a fisherman in your family, many of the fish markets now have trout. Give them a shout.


Recipe for Trout with Green Beans Amandine

Ingredients:
- 2 whole trout with skin on (heads removed, descaled and gutted - ask your fishmonger to take care of it for you)
- 1/2 lb haricots verts (or string beans)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper

How to:
1. Rinse the fish inside and out, pat dry, salt and pepper both sides.
2. Heat a non-stick or cast iron pan on medium-high.
3. Add the canola oil.
4. Let the pan get hot and add the two trout. Cook 4 minutes on each side.
5. Remove the fish from the pan and keep warm by covering it with tin foil.

Meanwhile...
1. Bring about 8 cups of water to a boil.
2. Blanch the haricots verts/green beans for about 3 minutes.
3. Drain the green beans and put them in an ice bath or run under cold water for a couple of minute to stop the cooking.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan and sauté the green beans for another 3 - 5 minutes so they've still got some snap to them but aren't too raw.

Then...
1. Add the 1/2 stick butter to the fish pan over medium-high heat.
2. When butter starts browning, add the almonds and cook until browned.
3. Add the lemon juice and let cook for another 2 minutes.

Finally...
1. Get a large platter.
2. Plate the fish.
3. Arrange the green beans all over the plate.
4. Pour the almonds and butter sauce over the fish and green beans.
5. Serve family style to a happy audience. Serves about 4 people.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynne and mom are very talented at cooking fish. I didn't inherit that talent but am more than willing to eat and offer my comments. This trout was moist and tender. The green beans and almonds were an excellent accompaniment. However - in my usual doggie bag to take home I did find 4 brownies! That's one sneaky sister but one excellent cook.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have cooked trout many different ways, but this one sounds like a keeper and will try it with Dick's next catch.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home